Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Palmeri declares chair 'uncomfortable'

Often times it's a matter of comfort for Oshkosh Common Councilor Tony Palmeri.

Tuesday was no different for the first-term Council member, as Palmeri boldly stated Tuesday that he was "uncomfortable" with his chair behind the Council table.

"Looking at this chair, I was anticipating that it would satisfy my sitting needs," Palmeri said. "However, after actually taking a seat and examining it further, I must say that I'm uncomfortable with this (chair), so I'll be voting against it."

After it was pointed out to Palmeri that the chair was not a topic of any vote, Paul Esslinger also decided that Palmeri's chair was inappropriate for sitting purposes.

"After listening to Dr. Palmeri's remarks, I agree completely," he said. "That chair is just not something that the citizens of Oshkosh should have to deal with."

The event marked the 872nd time that Palmeri and Esslinger recorded the same vote on an issue.

Mayor Frank Tower, following his usual pattern, had no opinion.

"It's hard to say whether Tony's chair is comfortable or not," Tower said. "I just can't make a decision at this time."

The debate prompted an official vote from the Council, resulting in a 4-3 vote to relieve the chair of its duties. Palmeri, Esslinger, Dennis McHugh and Mayor Tower all voted in favor of the resolution.

Palmeri repeated himself, as usual, on the topic of the chair.

"This chair causes me discomfort," he said for the third time.

Council member Bryan Bain voted against getting rid of the chair.

"I didn't really care one way or the other, but I don't like Tony Palmeri," Bain said. "Anything he supports, I'm 100 percent against."

Deputy Mayor Burk Tower also said something, but no one could understand exactly what it was.

1 comment:

Joshua M. Cowles said...

Okay, this is awesome... Why has nobody mentioned or linked to this?

Keep up the good work (more friggin often than every two months!).