Monday, March 23, 2009

Palmeri's Demand for Open Government Rooted in Pro-Communication Bias

Tony Palmeri has always advocated open communication in city government.  However, there may be a deeper reasoning behind the Oshkosh Common Councilor’s so-called passion.


Watchdog group Media Matters revealed today that Palmeri’s profession as a Communications professor at UW-Oshkosh has left him with a strictly pro-communications agenda.


“More than ever, citizens are able to contact government officials with questions or comments,” charged opponent John Hinz. “This leaves us with a familiarity with city officials that most of us just aren’t comfortable with, and it’s all because of Palmeri.”


Hinz is just one of several challengers who will fight for Palmeri’s seat in the April 7 elections.


Fellow candidate Steve Cummings echoed Hinz, adding that the citizens of Oshkosh shouldn’t trust a man who has so clearly dedicated himself to studying the way people interact with each other.


“Palmeri tries to tell us that he wants to involve the public in city council decisions, but obviously he’s gunning for some kind of utopia where we’re all polite and friendly to each other,” said Cummings. “Not in my America, sir.”


Dick O’Day, another challenger, said that government needs to stay out of communications all together before laughing, making a noise like he just got punched in the gut.


“This is better left to private enterprise,” O’Day said. “Last time I checked, Verizon was doing a pretty darn good job of keeping us connected.  I don’t need the city government telling me how to communicate.”


Ironically, Palmeri could not be reached for comment.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I am laughing all day. Great stuff Jef and Gordon.

Oshwatch said...

O.C,
We here at the OshWatch have made it perfectly clear that we are NOT 100% pro-Palmeri...we are, in fact, 110% supportive of him. Please get your facts straight.

And how dare you attack our poll, which only seeks to bring attention to two of the most important people of Oshkosh city government, who just happen to be women? Further, why do you insist on degrading women by misspelling the word?

Thank you for your poll suggestion, but it's fundamentally unfair. Obviously, Dr. Tony Palmeri would win that hands-down.

Anonymous said...

waaaaahaha
I about died when I saw the revised poll just now, you are SUCH an asshole. omg...I proposed to my husband because he made me laugh like that, lucky for you or I'd be on one knee right now. Shit, that sounds really bad. I MEANT proposing (it's what I do after I laugh i guess).
Okay look. I made this vow to CLEAN UP MY ACT. Really. Nuthin' but gravitas from here on out.
That leaves you to get to the -->bottom<-- of the Coffee and Cute Butt issue. You may find there are NO cute butts at U-Osh(surprise), and only Mr. Coffee-esque sludge in each cup.
But(t) first - do ya think you can make any sense of this insane Roundaboutphobia Oshtards have?
(BTW that was my old password for my ONW account, "oshtards") Not that I'm filled with disrespect or anything..nooo
Perhaps you have heard of "Narutards"? more likely not. It's a derogatory term for Naruto fans that take it too far, so Naruto + retard = Narutard. Um, you can do the math on the OshTards thing. Yep, calls 'em how I sees 'em.

But really! I just scanned thru a whole pile of Roundabout Fear chat. OshTards kickin' it inot high gear. Maybe timing/money could be an issue, I can see that. But otherwise, they're safer and no stoplights/electricity needed and they're SIMPLE. Crist-on-a-crutch, these people are AFRAID, truly afraid. wtf.

Oh, and your poll has only one vote, and that vote is for Palmeri. So at least you know he has stopped by your blog once. Maybe he'll visit again and the total will rise to 2 votes.

AND wtf on people thinking you are Jef and Grodon. oops. LOL @ "Grodon"
anyway, i seriously doubt you are them. check that, I'm sure you are not. Well I've not seen that much of Grodon, but definitely NOT Jef, omg...

Anonymous said...

Double "H" (Hall and Hintz) you guys rule! This stuff is awesome. Keep it up. We are loving it.

Anonymous said...

The person who keeps posting that this is Jef and Gordon is obviously some sort of psycho...I'd ignore it

Anonymous said...

Damnit! Our plot has been foiled! Anonymous man/woman, your investigative journalism has brought an untimely end to our secret initiative to de-rail everything good in America. It's a sad day for all of use.

Sincerely,
Jef Hall
Gordon Hintz

Anonymous said...

We want to be on your poll. How come we're not? you're mean.

Anonymous said...

Yeah. You tell 'em Gordo. I mean Grodo. We can pwn this poll and pulverize Palmeri

omg I see a random couch!
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid I'm going to have to question this initiative for a plethora of reasons. First it was not properly Noticed, in addition, and according to my own reading of the statutes, it would be completely inappropriate for Messrs. Hinz and Hall to pwn me at this time. My lifelong committment to small "d" democracy simply demands a more obvious and community-wide call to my pwn-age. This is obviously an Insider deal and does not pass The Smell Test. What's that you're hiding there? ...a TIF? damn you! Well anyway what was I saying...hmmm oh yeah. And therefore until such time as a see a vast public outcry re: my being pwned by Hintz and Hall, or even Hall and Oates, I plan to stand on my head in council chambers.
At the very least, all Oshies of 'Koshville, the tall and the small, could form a great circle, and sing, one and all. They must sing the Who Song! I really must hear it,
Consensus! Democracy!
Now that's the spirit!

Anonymous said...

Jef Hall couch jokes = lame and unoriginal

Jef Hall Lame Joke-Maker said...

You are correct sir.

That is precisely why I made them. O_o

Anonymous said...

The information here is great. I will invite my friends here.

Thanks